QuickBooks lets its users operate the application in a multi-user mode. Sometimes, issues occur in the multi-user environment causing various possible errors. One of such common errors that QuickBooks users face is the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816. The error pops up while trying to access the company file in multi-user mode. If you are encountering the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816, read this article till the end to know the various ways to resolve it. Here we are going to provide the reasons and solutions for the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816.
If you are having trouble understanding the steps to resolve the error and need help with the same, reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 for technical assistance.
What Causes the QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 to Arise?
The error codes 6189 and 816 can arise due to the following causes –
- The company file you are trying to access is already in use by another program or process.
- There are some accessibility issues on the computer hosting your company file.
- You have accidentally deleted the important system drivers for running QuickBooks.
- There are problems with the Windows registry.
- The .ND file is damaged or missing thus causing the error.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File
Ways to Resolve Error 6189 Opening Company File
Follow the steps provided below to fix the QuickBooks error code 6189 816 –
Step 1 – Repair QuickBooks with Quick Fix my Program
Use the Quick Fix my Program Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to repair the QuickBooks application. Go to the Program Problems tab and select the Quick Fix my Program tool to run the repair process. Post the repair ends, open QuickBooks again and try to access the company data file.
Step 2 – Refresh QuickBooks by Using the Refresher Tool
Download the QuickBooks Refresher Tool on your system and run it to refresh the QB application. This can help in fixing the problems with error -6189.
- Download and install the files using the QuickBooks Refresher tool.
- Save the files and click on exeto run the program.
- Reopen QuickBooks, once the installation process is finished.
Step 3 – Edit the Network Data and Transaction Log File Names
Fix the issues with the network data and transaction log files by modifying the file names. For this, open the files with .ND and .TLG extension and right-click to select the Rename option. Add .OLD at the end of the file names and hit Enter to save the new name. Now, access QuickBooks and see if the QuickBooks error code 6189 816 is fixed.
Step 4 – Perform a Manual QB File Repair
You can also try to manually resolve the QuickBooks error message 6189 816 by following the steps below –
- Rename the .TLGfile in the manner given in the above step and then click on QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Select Verify users’ permissionand ensure that the QB files are not encrypted.
- Copy the file and paste it into your Desktop to create a new copy.
- Open the file from the new location and see if the error code -6189 is fixed.
Follow the above-provided steps and fix the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816. If the error persists, you can reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 to get assistance from our support team in fixing the same.
Also read this blog: QuickBooks Error 6094: Easiest and Most Effective Solutions