When QuickBooks is unable to connect with the company file, the QuickBooks company file not found error can arise. This can happen due to a missing company file or a changed company file location. There can be many reasons for the company file issues, and they need to be addressed immediately. If your QuickBooks can’t find company file, follow the steps provided in this article to address the issue effectively.
You can call us at 1-855-856-0042 and get assistance from our technical team if you are unable to resolve the error on your own.
QuickBooks Company File is Missing Error: Possible Reasons
If your QuickBooks company file disappeared, these factors could be responsible –
- The company file path has changed, and the file has been moved to a different location/folder.
- You have accidentally deleted the QuickBooks company file from the local network storage.
- You are running QuickBooks in a multi-user environment, and there are network connectivity issues.
- You are not opening the company file correctly or the file extension is wrong.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped
How to Address the Error Code: Company File Not Found in QuickBooks?
The QuickBooks company file missing issue can be eliminated with the help of the following steps –
Step 1 – Ping the Server from the Workstation by Running the CMD Command
The network issues can be fixed by pinging your server computer from your workstation.
- Type CMD in the Runwindow search box and hit Enter to run the command.
- Type ipconfig/alland note down the hostname, followed by typing Ping [Host Name] and hitting Enter.
- Check if all the packets are received by the server and contact your IT admin if there’s any packet loss.
Step 2 – Locate the QB Company Files According to their File Extensions
From the Windows search feature, search for the file by typing the extension followed by an * mark. Search for the following extensions for different QuickBooks file types –
- Accountants change file – .QBY
- Accountants copy file – .QBA
- Backup Files – .QBB
- QuickBooks Company File – .QBW
Open the file from the location found and move it to the original location or access it from the new location to fix the company file not found issue.
Step 3 – Open Specific QuickBooks Files from the File Menu
The QuickBooks company file missing error can be resolved by ensuring that you are opening the file correctly.
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Filetab to select Open or Restore Company.
- Browse for the following file extensions and choose the company file, followed by hitting Next.
- .QBBfor QuickBooks backup file.
- .QBWfor the company file.
- .QBX for Accountants copy transfer file.
- Select Openand save the file at an accessible location to eliminate the company file issue.
The QuickBooks can’t find company file problem can be eliminated with the help of the solutions provided above. If the issue is still not resolved, you might need professional assistance. Call us at 1-855-856-0042 to get help from our expert team in fixing the issue.
Really useful to learn: QuickBooks Network Connection Error: Top Technical Analysis