If you join AARP (formerly AARP) you will receive endless benefits, discounts, and resources. You can become a member over the age of 50, whether you are working or retired, plus a reasonable membership fee, it is worth a try.
What is AARP?
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with more than 38 million members. It is dedicated to helping people 50 and older make choices about their lifestyle and how to improve their quality of life as they age.
AARP membership includes:
Benefits and Discounts
The following are just some of the hundreds of discounts, benefits, services, and resources available to AARP members:
- Advocacy on important issues like Social Security, affordable health care, and prescription coverage.
- Health and wellness discounts on eye exams, glasses, hearing aids, and more.
- Insurance plans include health, life, auto, home, business, and pets.
- Travel discounts on cruises, flights, hotels, resorts, car rentals, and more.
- Discounts at restaurants, retail, and grocery stores.
- Financial and retirement resources.
- Entertainment discounts at movie theaters and Ticketmaster.
- Home care discounts.
- Job resources and even a job board to find potential jobs.
- Community events and volunteer information.
The full list is available on the AARP website.
You will also receive a subscription to the AARP Magazine which is the largest circulation magazine in the country. This is a lifestyle publication that focuses on aging and provides a variety of valuable information on the following topics:
- Money – Invest, save for retirement.
- Health and Fitness – Tips and Trends.
- Food and nutrition – healthy eating, recipes.
- Travel – Tips on where and how to travel.
- Relationships – family issues, grandparents, care.
- Consumer Information – Advice and practical information.
- Entertainment news and celebrity interviews.
- Book and movie reviews.
- Topics of general interest – trending and timely topics.
Some other resources you can access include:
- Books and free downloads, including e-books, print books, and free downloads on your favorite topics. Plus, members can save 40% on select popular titles, including AARP technical guides.
- AARP Bulletin provides timely insights and in-depth analysis important to Americans over 50 on topics such as health, Medicare, Social Security, finance, and consumer protection.
- Free rewards program where you can learn, earn, play and save. Simply complete fun and informative activities at aarp.org and sign up for free to earn bonus points to save on gift cards and more.
To join AARP, the fee is $16. If you decide to sign up for multiple years, you can get a nice discount. E.g:
- If you join for a year but sign up for their auto-renewal option, the cost is $12.00 per year. (25% discount)
- If you join for 3 years, the cost is $14.34 per year. (10% discount)
- If you join for 5 years, the fee is $12.60 per year. (21% discount)
The value of being an AARP member
The benefits, discounts, and resources that AARP has to offer are of tremendous value. Some other benefits to look out for include:
- This is the most beneficial for someone who just turned 50 and wants to take advantage of the benefits AARP provides. Typical senior discounts without membership start at age 55, 60, or 65.
- You can also register your spouse or partner for free.
- You should use your AARP card frequently. If you use it more, it will benefit you more. Browse the website and learn how to get the most out of your membership.
- It will be well worth it to join. Your savings from the discount will go beyond paying the $16.00 annual membership fee.
Alternatives to AARP
Other organizations often offer discounts similar to AARP. Some also run political campaigns on key issues for older people. Some of these organizations include:
American Association of Seniors (ASA)
This is why it calls itself a “conservative alternative to AARP”. ASA offers more than 50 seniors benefits in travel, home, auto, safety, health, and wellness. The price is $15.00 per year.
American Adult Citizens Association (AMAC)
You’ll get exclusive benefits, discounts, and important information about Medicare, Social Security, and the government at Target. The price is $16.00 for a year.
Christ Above Politics (CAP)
CAP is a belief-based, apolitical alternative to AARP. They also offer benefits and discounts. Their membership packages start at $15.00 per year.
Is AARP right for you?
If you’re not sure whether to join, you can always do further research to see if AARP is right for you. Browse the website, read their publications, and evaluate their benefits. You can always try it for a year and see how it goes. The joining process is quick and easy, and you’ll benefit for years to come. If you have any questions, you can call 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277), Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern time.