The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a statutory body that was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Its main objective is to ensure that food products are safe and hygienic for human consumption. The FSSAI is responsible for laying down science-based standards for food products and regulating their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import.
In this article, we will discuss the process of FSSAI registration online, including the benefits of FSSAI registration, the documents required for FSSAI registration, and the FSSAI registration fees.
Benefits of FSSAI Registration
FSSAI registration is mandatory for all food businesses in India. The following are some of the benefits of FSSAI registration:
- Legitimacy: FSSAI registration gives your food business legitimacy and credibility. It ensures that your food products are of high quality and safe for consumption.
- Legal Protection: FSSAI registration protects your food business from legal action in the event of any food-related issue. It also ensures that your business complies with all the necessary regulations.
- Consumer Confidence: FSSAI registration helps to build consumer confidence in your food products. It assures consumers that your products are of high quality and safe to consume.
- Business Expansion: FSSAI registration is necessary if you want to expand your food business. It allows you to operate in multiple locations and makes it easier to obtain licenses and permits.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
The following are the documents required for FSSAI registration:
- Form A: Form A is the basic registration form that needs to be filled out by all food businesses. It can be completed online and submitted to the FSSAI.
- Identity Proof: The food business owner must provide a copy of their identity proof, such as Aadhaar card, PAN card, or passport.
- Address Proof: The food business owner must provide a copy of their address proof, such as a utility bill or rent agreement.
- Photo: The food business owner must provide a passport-sized photograph.
- Business Name and Address Proof: The food business must provide proof of their business name and address. This can be done by providing a copy of the rental agreement or the property documents.
- Food Safety Management System Plan: The food business must provide a Food Safety Management System Plan that outlines their food safety policies and procedures.
FSSAI Registration Fees
The FSSAI registration fees depend on the type of food business. The following are the different types of food businesses and their registration fees:
- Basic Registration: Basic registration is for small food businesses that have an annual turnover of less than Rs. 12 lakhs. The registration fee for basic registration is Rs. 100.
- State License: State License is for food businesses that have an annual turnover between Rs. 12 lakhs and Rs. 20 crores. The registration fee for state license is Rs. 2,000.
- Central License: Central License is for food businesses that have an annual turnover of more than Rs. 20 crores. The registration fee for central license is Rs. 7,500.
FSSAI Registration Online Process
The following are the steps to register for FSSAI online:
- Step 1: Visit the FSSAI website and click on the “Registration” tab.
- Step 2: Select the type of registration you require – Basic, State, or Central.
- Step 3: Fill out the Form A with all the required details.
- Step 4: Upload the necessary documents, including identity proof, address proof, photo, business name and address proof, and Food Safety Management System Plan.
- Step 5: Pay the registration fee online.
Step 6: After payment, you will receive a unique reference number (URN) that can be used to track the status of your application.
Step 7: Once the application is processed, the FSSAI will conduct an inspection of your food business premises to ensure that it complies with all the necessary regulations.
Step 8: If everything is in order, the FSSAI will issue the registration certificate within 30 days of receiving the application.
It is important to note that FSSAI registration is mandatory for all food businesses in India. Failure to obtain FSSAI registration can result in heavy penalties, legal action, and even closure of the business.
In addition to FSSAI registration, food businesses are also required to comply with other regulations such as the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011, the Food Safety and Standards (Advertising and Claims) Regulations, 2018, and the Food Safety and Standards (Contaminants, Toxins, and Residues) Regulations, 2011.
FSSAI registration is an important process for food businesses in India. It ensures that food products are safe and hygienic for human consumption and provides credibility and legitimacy to the business. By following the online registration process and complying with all the necessary regulations, food businesses can build consumer confidence, protect themselves from legal action, and expand their operations.