Now and then, QuickBooks users cope with blunders while performing individual processes in the QuickBooks Desktop application. Some errors like error 4 in QuickBooks severely affect the user’s actions and don’t allow the user to open the desktop application. Multiple troubleshooting steps are required to fix such application errors and also include Windows troubleshooting to rectify the error triggering causes. If you have also encountered error 4 in QuickBooks then with the help of the troubleshooting step mentioned in this article you can easily get rid of it. For detailed instructions follow the entire article until the end.
Need Help Resolving QuickBooks Desktop Error 4! Call QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Number 1.855.738.2784 for Instant Support
What is QuickBooks Error 4?
QuickBooks Enterprise Error 4 also commonly known as QuickBooks Event ID 4 error is an error that indicates that Windows components supporting QuickBooks are not working properly because of some damage. Microsoft .NET Framework is a Windows component that is required by the QuickBooks Desktop application to function and when this component is corrupt or damaged QuickBooks displays QuickBooks Event Log Error 4. A complete description of QuickBooks Desktop error 4 can be found under the event viewer which is a Windows feature that records all the events that happened on Windows. The error description shows “QuickBooks Event ID 4 – An unexpected error has occurred in “QuickBooks”: Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle” as an error message and no other information is provided to the user to rectify the error.
What Cause QuickBooks Error 4?
Following is the list of some known reasons that cause QuickBooks to encounter:
- Outdated QuickBooks Desktop application.
- QuickBooks Desktop installation errors.
- Microsoft .NET installation is corrupt or damaged.
- You are using an older version of the Windows operating system that is not supported by QuickBooks.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 1334
The solution to Fix QuickBooks Error 4
Before following the steps mentioned further in this article to resolve the error make sure you are using a supported version of Microsoft Windows i.e. Windows 7 or later.
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop Application
- Follow the link and visit the QuickBooks Downloads and Updates
- From the drop-down list select the correct QuickBooks Product and Version.
- Hit the Search button and then click Get the Latest Updates.
- Now browse a location on your computer and save the QuickBooks Update file.
- Close the browser and double-click the update file from the download location.
- Follow the instructions to install the updates and restart your computer.
- If you are still getting Error 4 While Opening QuickBooks then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Follow the link and download the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Under the downloads of your computer search for exefile.
- Double-click the file to start the Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Select the QuickBooks product in which you are getting the error.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen to repair the installation errors.
- Once the tool finish repairing installation errors restart Windows and try using QuickBooks once again.
- In the error persist and you again get error 4 then follow the next solution.
Solution 3: Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
- Press Windows+ R on your keyboard and once the Run window appears, type cpl in the run box.
- Hit OKor press Enter on your keyboard.
- Double-click Microsoft .NET Framework in the list and select the option to uninstall it.
- After you have successfully uninstalled the Framework restart your computer and follow the same steps to open Programs and Features
- Now check if the version of Microsoft .NET Framework installed is 5instead of 4.0.
- If you are getting version 5of framework installed on windows then close the Programs and Features window and try using QuickBooks Desktop application once again.
Some users have reported getting the same unexpected error in QuickBooks even after following the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article and as the last solution, you might need to install a new copy of Windows on your computer. We understand that it could be frustrating for a user who is not familiar with Windows troubleshooting to follow all the troubleshooting steps and to reinstall windows. We have a separate team for resolving such QuickBooks errors and you can reach the experts at 1.855.738.2784 any time for support.
QuickBooks Error 4 one of the common QuickBooks Desktop errors that creates trouble for many QuickBooks users every month as it blocks the users access to the QuickBooks Desktop application and displays a blunder message “QuickBooks Event ID 4 – An unforeseen error has emerged in “QuickBooks”: Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle”. If you are also dealing with error 4 in QuickBooks then follow this article until the end for a step-by-step troubleshooting method.
Read also: QuickBooks Error 61: Reasons and Solutions