Medical facilities streamline processes for specific reasons. They are crucial to how a medical facility meets patient expectations and workplace standards. Improving workplace processes is essential to meeting patient needs effectively. A common process medical facilities want to improve is responding to phone calls. As a result, more healthcare facilities are using business answering services to enhance customer service support for incoming phone calls.
How Do Answering Services Work in the Medical Field?
Many industries use answering services, including property management and legal, government, and consulting firms. For healthcare, a medical answering service processes incoming calls through an automated system, a pre-recorded message, or a live operator. Callers can leave a message through one or more of these options, get transferred to a specific person or department, or speak to the answering service representative for assistance. The representative may direct the call based on urgency or priority. The caller can also be transferred to an on-call doctor or nurse after hours.
What are the Service Features?
Answering services for medical facilities provide useful functions to meet customer service needs. These options improve patient experience and help medical facilities maintain productivity. Standard features provided may include:
- Automated reminders for patients. The system reminds patients of an upcoming appointment.
- Appointment scheduling. Patients can use a web-based system to make an appointment anytime from anywhere.
- Leave a secure message. Patients can send their doctor a message on a platform that keeps sensitive information private. The platform encrypts messages and saves them in a safe location.
- Automated message prescreening. A patient can receive automated notifications with details for specific situations, such as who to call in an emergency, operating hours, or how to make a payment.
- Emergency support for after-hours. Business answering services can be a point of contact for a medical facility after hours. Calls get forwarded to the on-call doctor based on priority.
What Are the Benefits of Using an Answering Service?
Many medical facilities benefit from using an answering service in various ways. While a company may have specific reasons for using the service, others focus on how their medical facility will benefit, which includes:
- Ability to protect sensitive information to comply with HIPAA requirements.
- Online reporting system to access scheduling, recorded calls, messages, reports, and streamline processes for employees.
- Improve availability by offering a 24/7 service option by phone in an emergency.
- Reduce liability risk and save money with the option of keeping phone records that could be used later if legal issues occur.
- Limit distractions to ensure patients get help quickly when calls are directed to the on-call doctor. A medical answering service ensures incoming calls received after-hours get reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate source.
- Customized answering services to meet the needs of your facility and patients.
Using an answering service in a medical facility may improve business operations and give you essential tools to enhance workplace and patient relations. Tasks such as scheduling appointments, routing calls to on-call personnel, securing communications, and 24/7 availability are just a few functions and benefits medical facilities value when investing in an answering service solution.