Food hygiene is essential to stay healthy. But if the refrigerators are unclean, it can directly impact the food, making it harmful for consumption. To prevent this, cleaning the fridge after every three months is crucial. Cleaning the refrigerator prevents germs from breeding on the surface. It helps to eliminate food-borne illnesses and keep the surroundings healthy and sanitized.
Refrigerators work on electricity. So, you must be careful while cleaning the exteriors and interiors to avoid shocks. Here’s a complete guide for effective and safe refrigerator cleaning.
Pre-Preparation Before Refrigerator Cleaning
Before beginning the cleaning process, a few steps need to be followed.
● Unplug the electric cords of the refrigerator from the power socket.
● Remove the recalled food items from the fridge.
● Clear the counter and keep the food items in a clean space.
● Separate the refrigerator components and assemble the removal parts in a corner.
● Try to complete the cleaning within two hours as the food might start to rot.
Process To Clean The Refrigerators’ Interiors
You can give a fresh look to your refrigerator with essential ingredients like dishwasher, soap, water, dry cloth, sponge, kitchen cleaner, baking soda, vinegar, and lemon. Here’s how you can clean the interiors of your refrigerator.
● Step 1: Clean the racks, drawers, and shelf with soap water. Dip the brush into the soap water and gently rub the surface to remove stains and dirt. Besides, you can use a sponge for cleaning. If there is grease on the components, keep them dipped in vinegar and baking soda water for some hours and then repeat the above-mentioned process.
● Step 2: Use a dry cloth to wipe the surface after cleaning. Ensure no moisture is left on the components before fitting them into the refrigerator compartments.
● Step 3: To clean the filth and grease accumulation on the door, fill a spray bottle with two tablespoons of baking soda and hot water and apply it to the affected areas. Apply this to the non-removable shelves, nooks, and corners of the fridge and wipe it with a damp cloth. Use a kitchen cleaner and a sponge to clean the areas with heavy stains. Dry it with a wet cloth once done.
Process To Clean The Refrigerators’ Exteriors
Following are the necessary steps to clean the exteriors of the refrigerator:
● Step 1: Roughly wipe the exteriors with a brush to remove dirt.
● Step 2: If the residues remain, wipe the fridge’s surface with soap water. Do not wash the fridge’s surface with soap water near the electric cords. Clean the area with a damp cloth to remove the dirt.
● Step 3: If there are stubborn stains, make a paste of baking soda, water, and vinegar, dip a dry cloth in the solution and rub on the affected area.
Process To Maintain Refrigerator Cleaning
While cleaning the refrigerator from time to time is essential, ensuring that there are no food spillages is equally necessary to keep the fridge healthy.
● Keep the food in sealed containers to avoid spillage.
● Ensure to keep the cooked and uncooked food items separately.
● Keep things in an organized manner.
● Make a separate section for the dry food items.
● If there are spills, remove the container, clean the surface and use a new container to store the food.
Depending on your usage, you can clean the 170L refrigerator daily, weekly, or monthly. While cleaning the surface, do not put excessive pressure as it can lead to wear and tear. Follow the steps to keep the fridge clean and eliminate smelly odor.
Cleaning a refrigerator is not much of a hassle if the proper cleaning tactics are followed. The above steps are easy to conduct and do not consume much time. However, if you’re planning to replace your old refrigerator with a new one, buy single-door refrigerator as they consume less power and are easy to maintain.